Midnight Star is throwing a sale!
Are you looking for hands-on activities for your Earth Science or Geology classes? Do you teach at the high school level and are looking for activities that are age appropriate? Look no further. Your timing could not be better for on August 29 and 30 all of my lessons and activities will be on sale!
What topics to you start teaching at the beginning of a school year: Fault types, Dinosaurs, topographic maps, minerals, igneous or sedimentary rocks? There are many activities on each of these topics on my TpT store just waiting for you to discover. The rock identification lessons require that teachers have sets of rocks for students to be able to observe ahead of the lesson. It is best to have students work in small groups in order to identify rocks. The topographic map lessons are ready to be used; simply print copies, be familiar with the answer key and the students can start to work on completing the elevations for each contour line.
I find it most useful to use a document camera to work through at least one map together as a class. “Think alouds” are extraordinarily helpful to students learning how to read and interpret topographic maps for the first time. As students begin to label the contour lines, the teacher can discuss the logic behind how to label the contour lines. This also gives students the ability to ask questions as the topographic map is completed.
The fault lesson is “No Prep” as well. Students cut out, fold and tape block models of normal, reverse, strike-slip faults as well as horst and graben models. Just simply print and supply scissors, markers, glue or tape.
Looking for a large project?
Do you want an excellent way to engage students in learning right off the bat? Midnight Star has two engaging projects that are a perfect way to gain the interests of students for your class.
- Students really like learning about dinosaurs! Midnight Star has 3 difficulty levels of dinosaur activities: an early-elementary school activity, a middle-school activity and a challenging high-school activity.
- The elementary level activity allows students to practice writing, cutting and pasting, as well as reading interesting facts about very popular dinosaurs.
- The high-school activity is a very challenging activity for students to cut and assemble bones, identify the name of the dinosaur and then research information about their individual animal. There are enough dinosaurs to enable each student to have their own unique animal within a typical sized science class.
- The middle-school activity is similar to the high school activity, it has simply been modified for the younger student.
- Geology bucket list trading cards. Do you want to instill curiosity and the desire to travel around the world? This project is perfect to do just that! There are 100 fabulous locations around the world for students to choose from. They pick the locations that are of most interest to them and do research to make a creative trading card for each location. Midnight Star also has the following similar projects:
- Earth Science bucket list trading cards
- Colorado Geology bucket list trading cards
- Earth Science Junior bucket list trading cards
Each of these activities have been used m any times over the course of 28 years of teaching in my classroom and are ready to be used by YOU! Please visit my store on TpT (MidnightStar) and help make your classroom engaging for your students starting this week.